There are three types of Acne scarring.
1. Elevated scars, called Hypertrophic scars.
2. Flat scars, due to a colour change. These can be white, red or brown.
3. Indented scars. There are 2 types of indented Acne scars.
- Pulled down areas. These type of scars are known as Rolling scars due to the overlying skin being pulled down by underlying scar tissue.
- Punched out lesions due to loss of actual skin substance. Small, pinpoint lesions are known as Icepick scars and bigger lesions as Boxcar scars.
The treatment of Acne scarring depends on the type of scar.